Saturday, February 2, 2008

Faith and Signs

This past Tuesday, my wife and I were on the Big Island and were able to visit the Kona-Hawaii Temple for the first time. Despite an unanticipated problem, all went well.

We flew to Kona on the Big Island on Monday afternoon. On the drive to the airport, I asked my wife if she had remembered to bring certain important items such as her driver’s license which she would need to identify herself in order to get past airport security. She had that. No problem.

When I asked if she had her temple recommend, she said she thought she did and she began looking through her handbag for it. See, her wallet had been damaged so she had to keep all her cards and wallet items loose in her purse. And as she searched through her purse, I started to sense her angst.

Come to find out, she could not find her recommend. No recommend, no admittance into the temple. I thought it was that cut and dry.

However, my wife would not concede. She made calls to a member of our stake presidency who said he would vouch for her if need be if she did not find her recommend, and to our bishop, who also said he would do the same.

When we got to the Kona temple for the 9 a.m. session on Tuesday, we met the first counselor of the Temple Presidency, President Mo’o. He called our bishop, who had left us his work number and his cell phone number. No luck reaching him.

Bear in mind that the this was about five till nine. I was trying my best to remain calm and actually did a good job of it. Then, I thought that I should try to contact our bishop. A call from my cell phone to his office number in Honolulu was successful, and in a minute President Mo’o was talking to him, verifying the information that he needed to verify, and my wife and I were dashing off (reverently, of course) to the dressing room to prepare for the 9 a.m. session

We made it and had a nice session.

D&C 63: 9 says But, behold, faith cometh not by signs, but signs follow those that believe.

Yes, I believe.

Photo credit: ldschurchtemples.com

No comments: