Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I'm in a Choir (at last)

Since I was in high school, I wanted to be in a choir. Partly because of schedule conflicts and partly because I was too chicken to audition, I never went out for my high school choir.

Well, when I heard an announcement in church that our ward was going to organize a choir, I turned to my wife and asked her, "Can we?"

She was readily agreeable to this, so the Kaneohe 1st Ward choir had at least two eager members.

As things turned out, the choir has had upwards of thirty-plus of us at times though most of our practices, which take place after all our three hours of meetings are pau (finished), draws about fifteen.

We have been blessed with a top-drawer choir director, Micah Hirokawa, who not only teaches us our parts and how to blend them, but he also takes bits and pieces of time to teach us about musical theory and terminology in simple ways we can understand.

At present, we are practicing a set of hymns normally sung before we partake the sacrament for Easter Sunday. One of my favorites is "There is a Green Hill Far Away."

No comments: